Saturday, July 18, 2009

11.5 Thing #11-Digital Citizenship

I read all of the links provided even though the assignment said to choose about 3. I'm so glad I did. All were excellent and informative. I am fired up over a concept I previously didn't know anything about.

Even though my library orientation packets are already printed for the start of school, I will definitely work in a discussion about digital citizenship. Subjects I would include are manners, safety, evaluating information, copyright, and the AUP. Regarding the AUP, I would engage the students in a discussion about why we have the rules rather than just posting the rules.

I like this activity that I accessed through the Ning in item 4 of this assignment. It's titled, "Digital Citizenship and the 21st Century Digital Compass Activity."

http://www.educ.ksu.edu/digitalcitizenship/CompassArt.pdf

Something I will do more of having read these articles and suggestions is model how I evaluate the websites I find for the students. There is never enough time to devote an entire lesson to website evaluation, but if I and other teachers model our use of technology, eventually the students will become better at it themselves. Having said that, I must admit that many of our teachers need to learn and model better technology use! I hope my principal will let me provide some staff development on Digital Citizenship.

No comments: