Monday, June 30, 2008

Thing #14 Technorati and How Tags Work

Searching for tags rather than blogs or posts really narrowed the results which works for me!

Technorati ranks blogs by looking at which blogs link to other blogs. Liz Dunn, the product manager of the Technorati web site, said that the blogs in the Top 100 belong to crazy people who sit at their computers and post a thousand times a day, then link to each other. She went on to say that opinions of the unwashed masses were more helpful than the published reviews or news reported by professionals who are paid to critique things. These comments make me want to proceed with caution in using blogs to get information. We should certainly continue to teach our students how to evaluate web sites and now blogs when they are gathering information.

The millions of people who blog and whose blogs are tracked by Technorati are obviously on to something. Tantek Celik said that people are connecting directly with people and we are living on levels we have never lived before. I prefer face-to-face contact when connecting with people. Blogs, like email, lack tone and statements can be misunderstood.

My thoughts about the value of tagging:
Joshua Schachter, who launched del.icio.us, says that tagging is something we do for ourselves to help find information. Sites such as del.icio.us and ma.gnolia are good for helping one find the websites that are saved there. Publishers tag content to draw readers in, which is completely different.

I added 25 of my favorite web sites to del.icio.us, but in spite of the tags, it is difficult to find particular sites that I am looking for. The site is very busy and cluttered in its appearance. At this point, I prefer having my favorites filed in folders that I created.

No comments: