Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thing #8 RSS

I have known about Real Simple Syndication for quite a while, but I resisted using it. I thought I was pretty efficient with my favorites and the links on my iGoogle page. Wrong! My new Google Reader account is amazing! I added 5 blogs, two web sites, and two bundles found on Google Reader. I already have 119 new items that I need to look over. Will I be able to keep up?

In my personal life,it will be a real time saver not to go to a web site and find nothing new (especially when my computer takes a very long time to open web sites and articles.) I will be able to glance at my Google Reader and see if there is anything I want to read. If not, then I'll move on.

As another participant in Library2Play suggested, I could make a folder for classes coming to the library for research. I think the Environmental Science students could benefit from the most current and topical articles when doing their research. I usually do preresearch and find credible web sites for the students and give them the URLs or create links that I put on the "share drive" for them, but having a folder on a reader set up that they could access from school or home would work beautifully.

I put a link to Shared Items on my blog.

No comments: