Friday, June 19, 2009

11.5 Thing #2 - Image Generators

WordSift

I tried WordSift with an article from the Dept. of Energy on alternative fuels. Not only would this work well as an introduction to the subject with the IPC (Integrated Physics and Chemistry) classes, it would be perfect for the ESL students. I clicked on the word "turbine" and got the synonym "rotary engine" in the visual thesaurus and pictures of wind turbines in the images. Images and simpler words are just what our English learners need to master science vocabulary.

Glogster

I want to try this with the freshman geography classes. Their teachers want them to create posters on world religions. Think poster board, markers, glue, scissors, etc. I hope we can use Glogster because it is new and exciting for our 14-year-olds. I would have them research their topics first using the ABC-CLIO databases, CultureGrams, and the online Encyclopedia Britannica. They could be so creative with this tool. Also, if they try something they don't like or if they make a mistake, they can change it!

Voki

I thought the talking avatars were off-putting. However, I did create one and put it on my blog. Can't wait to read how some of you suggest using them with students!


Bookr

At first I didn't really like this tool. As I played with it I started to see some possibilities with the addition of text. One could create a very nice report on almost any topic with all the images available in Flickr. There are many opportunities to evaluate and research before taking random pictures and slapping together a book. Here is my first try:

1 comment:

VWB said...

I share a little of the "creepiness" factor concerning voki (the eyes following me)...but I have grown to apreciate the cuteness factor more! And the kids love them...how about using one as a direction giver to something...talk about attention grabbing!!