Wednesday, June 24, 2009

11.5 Thing #5 - Microblogging

I created a Facebook account about a week ago. Since then I reconnected with my college roommate and an old friend from my education classes. One of my nephews sent out a birth announcement via Facebook. I started slowly and changed security settings just today so that friends can read postings on my wall. I still haven't written anything about myself on the home page, much like my blog for this class. Gotta get over my shyness.

I was a club sponsor and had a web page, a bulletin board, used the morning announcements, and emailed students to let them know about meetings and other activities. Most of them never knew what was going on! Web pages and email are antiquated technology for our students today. I will try texting and Facebook this coming school year.

When exploring Twitter, I came across this statement:

[Twitter is] ...an RSS feed to every boring aspect of your friend's lives, according to Helen A.S. Popkin, MSNBC contributor, Twitter Nation: Nobody cares what you're doing (Then again, if you don't get it, that must mean you're totally too old.) on May 2, 2007.

That describes my initial reaction perfectly. I don't understand how I can get meaningful input from colleagues and other experts in my field from a Tweet. However, the information on back channeling and using Twitter during presentations was fascinating. I imagined what it would be like to have my students on laptops as I presented works cited and literary criticisms. According to the article, they might actually pay attention and ask questions if they could use Twitter! The shy students would ask questions if they could remain anonymous. Maybe someday...

1 comment:

VWB said...

maybe a "soon" someday?

what about a back channel session across the district on a topic? Maybe find a colleague that would experiment with you and kids to could back channel questions?

possibilities are endless!