Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing #18 Online Productivity Tools

After three attempts, I got Open Office loaded. (I believe if was operator error) It is a great tool that offers word processing, spread sheets, presentation software, and technical support. I have many students who do not have Microsoft Word at home, so it is impossible for them to work on their projects outside of school. Since Open Office is free and not licensed, I could give them copies of the program to take home. We have Microsoft Office 2007 on our school computers, and Open Office is not compatible with 2007, but the Microsoft Office 2007 does allow one to work with documents created with 97-2003. The Open Office product is clean and simple to use. Our students are confused by 2007 since they never received training on it. Teachers and staff were offered training, and those of us who took it are still struggling to figure out where things are on that "ribbon"!

I like the fact that Open Office is free, anyone can use it, it can be loaded on as many computers as needed, copies can be burned to CD, and there is a great community out there to support and improve the product.

A minor annoyance for me is that Microsoft Word thinks it knows what I want and provides formatting without being asked. Open Office does not seem to have built-in intuition...and that is good!

No comments: