Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing #19 Web 2.0

This assignment was too much fun. I was still playing with several of the sites when my husband got home from work, so I showed him two that I thought he would like. I sent my daughter a link to Livemocha so that she can stay fluent in German or help others who are learning to speak it. For personal use I intend to use Menuism and Yelp to find local restaurants to try.

For school use, Wetpaint is a hosted wiki site that I will definitely share with the biology teachers. Each year they come to the library with their classes to research genetic diseases. Each student then creates a PowerPoint presentation. This coming year I would like to freshen up the assignment and have the students share their research on a wiki. Wetpaint seems user friendly and provides education templates and tips. Since I couldn't narrow down my choice to one 2.0 site, I must mention The One Million Masterpiece. The goal of this site is to gather artwork from one million contributors. Each creation is a small square created with the site's software. So far they have 28,576 contributions from 174 countries. The goal is to create a snapshot of our global society. It is "a collaboration where everyone is equal, where all outcomes are valid." The site claims that the results will be printed and displayed in some of the most prestigious art galleries. I want to suggest this to the art teachers and the computer teachers. I hope that they will be excited about it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also have your daughter check out www.eduFire.com for keeping up with her German. I'm a student on the site and I'm studying Spanish. I have found this site to be all about learning and retaining language and a little bit less about social networking. I also use livemocha.com but have seen a little more success on eduFire thus far.