Friday, July 11, 2008

Thing #21 Podcasts and Audio Books

This one took days, but I really enjoyed it. I was planning to create a PowerPoint (how old school) for parent night next fall. I have lots of pictures of students using the library and I wanted to have it playing during Open House. Now I will create a Photostory and add narration and music. Can't wait! For this assignment, I decided not to use my students' pictures because I do not have their permission (or their parents' permission) to put their pictures on the Internet. To learn about Photostory, I used some photographs I have of a trip to Washington, D.C. I learned about iTunes and downloading music legally. I registered, paid for several songs, and used the appropriate amount in my presentation. (At least I hope I did!)

This is pretty corny, but I created it for all the members of my family who were or are in the military, including my father, brother, husband, nephews, and brother-in-law, and in remembrance of two friends.





All photos are mine except four that I found at Flickr: The Air Force Memorial is by bg_os; Marine Memorial is by winter ends; Navy Memorial is by OZinOH; Navy Memorial Fountains is by singed photography.

As for my thoughts on this technology, I plan to use it for booktalks. What an exciting way to introduce books to students, especially in a setting like a high school library where we don't see the students regularly and they are all so busy. Teachers, too! In addition, I try to teach students how to cite their sources using the MLA format. What a dry, boring topic. Podcasts and vidcasts might make it a little more interesting for the students.

No comments: